The Christology of Worship
THE CHRISTOLOGY OF WORSHIP: HEBREWS 2:12
1. The living Christ is present in our midst when we gather for worship.
2. Only in and through Christ can we enter into Godís presence in worship.
3. Our worship is pleasing and acceptable to God not because of its excellence, but because of (and only because of) the excellence of His Son.
4. The Word of God, by which Christ proclaims His Fatherís name to His brethren, deserves priority and centrality in our worship.
5. The corporate praise of Godís people is an integral and crucial part of the gathering of the church.
6. No matter how they may differ in the externals, all true expressions of worship share in common that they are led and mediated by Christ in the power of the Holy Spirit.
7. When we preach or lead worship, we do so representing Christ WHOSE MINITRY IT IS. He is the worship leader.
8. Because Christ leads us in our worship, we can enter boldly and confidently into Godís presence.
9. By His grace God has provided in Christ the worship He requires of us.
10. Our singing Savior show us the appropriateness and necessity of our own songs of praise.
11. We need to consider a Christocentric view of illumination.
12. We need to repent of trying to do worship in our own strength.
--Ron Man, PROCLAMATION AND PRAISE: HEBREWS 2:12 AND THE CHRISTOLOGY OF WORSHIP. Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock Publishers, 2007, pp. 53-83. ISBN-13 978-1-55635-056-6. The author has lectured in my classes at Southern Seminary and has developed a very helpful site for those who are interested in understanding Christian worship. See www.worr.org. I highly recommend both the book and the web site.
HERE IS THE DISCOUNT OFFER FROM THE PUBLISHER. Ron Man writes, "I wanted to let you know that the publisher of my new little book, PROCLAMATION AND PRAISE: HEBREWS 2:12 AND THE CHRISTOLOGY OF WORSHIP, is giving a 40% discount on the book, today through December 9, 2007. Just go to www.wipfandstock.com. You must enter the coupon code 50566MAN in order for the discount to be applied to your order.
Have a great week!
Director, Institute for Christian Worship
School of Church Music and Worship
The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
WORSHIP QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or view a complete
index of worship quotes, please visit